Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Waiting Waiter

                                                                       Detail

     It took me a few days to get back to my larger version of Waiting Waiter, 32x12, oil/canvas... there were potential hurricane preparations and some rest for the eyes in order.  Well, what a difference a few days can make... fortunately Hurricane Ike went further south and this painting that was started with one eye was finished with both eyes opened for business!! It is a great feeling to return to a semblance of "normalcy".
      In my studio, it is not uncommon for me to have books laying open about artists whose work I admire... Sargent, Sorolla, David Leffel and lately, a great book about Vermeer. All are masters in their handling of light and paint. There is so much information available in any painting by any one of them about the act/art of seeing. Of course, there are other books I find valuable, but all four of these kept a watchful eye open during the process of Waiting Waiter. They were pretty good company.
     I will be posting the full painting on my web site once it is dry enough to take a better photo...

No comments: