Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wet Paint, In The Studio...

The tropical weather made my friend Janet and me take a raincheck for painting at Bonnet House today. So instead, I did this 10x8, Oil/Canvas, of my friend and painter, Eden Compton, with sketchbook in hand, roaming one of the breezeways at Bonnet House on one of our earlier paint days. You didn't know I took your picture, huh, Eden?...

Still working on getting the abstract forms, I also turned the canvas and reference photo upside down to keep from falling into the bad habit I have of lingering. Again, old dog, old trick, but it really helped me keep looking at the shapes and values as opposed to the subject matter. I found this especially helpful in seeing the drama of the reflections in both the floor and the archways.

3 comments:

Eden Compton Studio said...

Wow Greg!! That came out great! Your painting makes me miss the Bonnet House. I do remember that day because I never finished the interior scene I was working on and I just found it again. And, no, I did not realize you were taking photos -- but I'm sure I will get you back!

Unknown said...

Greg, What an enjoyable Sunday morning, while others are reading the depressing news in the paper, I've sipped my cafe' looking at your happy colors and the dancing light in your paintings. Great way to start the day! I love this one, the contrast of colors is awesome! ;) ileana

Greg Little said...

Thank You both for your comments...

Eden, I will be looking back over my shoulder!

Ileana, your comment made my day, Thanks!