Thursday, December 24, 2009

Palm With A View...


Palm With A view
30 x 9.5 Oil/Canvas

I attempted to do this painting en plein air earlier this year. The tall and narrow format of the stretched canvas made it very awkward for working outdoors... combined with the rapidly changing light and over abundance of info, it quickly became a wiper! Fortunately, I came across the reference photo I took, found the toned down canvas and did this studio version of Palm With A View. Remembering the feel of the day as I painted from the photo helped me to hold onto my plein air approach while enjoying an ample amount of time to work with no changing light.

5 comments:

Eden Compton Studio said...

Excellent Greg!! This came out great as did the plein air from Saturday. You're on a roll - a nice birthday gift. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Gina Brown said...

Love this :)

Greg Little said...

Thanks, Eden & Gina.. Here is to a Happy & Productive New Year for us all !!!!

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

Greg! I haven't stopped in for a while and I'll be darned if your work doesn't look better than Ever. This palm tree in particular just blows me away. Whew! The sunlit grass against those blue shadows, too... fantastic.

Greg Little said...

Thanks, Camille!... I like what you are doing with your portrait work.. Don't be a stranger!