Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Flower Triptych...

12x36, Oil/Linen Panels

I did each panel of this triptych independent of each other using the same arrangement of flowers in a vase. It is basically a walk around the vase... I have to admit that I was pretty surprised when I saw how well they fit together as a whole. That is when it became a triptych.

While working on these paintings, I first blocked in the forms of the different colors by finding the middle tones. To start making sense of the abstract forms, and to define the flowers, I laid in the darker areas with a swift and loaded paint brush. The lightest areas came next followed by a dance back and forth with accents of darks and varying middle tones, warmer or cooler. I did the same thing with the background and negative spaces, using them to define and clean up the edges.

The next step will be to frame it. My question is, "Do I frame each painting individually" or "Do I treat it as a singular piece by building one frame with narrow dividers between each panel"?

2 comments:

Eden Compton Studio said...

This is gorgeous Greg! My personal opinion is that it would look fantastic as one piece with dividers between. Your next sale I predict . . . ; )

Greg Little said...

Thanks Eden! On fb, the frame opinions are split down the middle... painters say one frame, keep them together. Non painters say frame individually for versatility in hanging... there is a study here somewhere. Vision v Practicality...